Mother’s Day Gift Guide
1. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls is a deeply touching, hugely successful 2006 New York Times best-selling memoir based on Walls’s unconventional childhood and upbringing. Born in Phoenix, she was raised by an alcoholic father and an eccentric and free-spirited mother who were both incapable of providing stability, financially or otherwise, for their children. But the novel is not about Walls’s parents’ deficiencies—it focuses instead on how being brought up in a somewhat peculiar way was the reason for her successes. Walls describes her parents with great affection and expresses gratitude for the nonconformist values they instilled in her by following their own dreams. It is a celebration of parenthood.
2. For the tech-savvy mom who’s on the go, Bottega Veneta’s Intrecciato Leather iPad Sleeve is a must-have. The Italian brand is best known for its signature luxury leather goods, so you can bet that this is no ordinary iPad sleeve. The intricately woven black leather and closing strap will ensure that her gadgetry is transported in style. This sleeve is ideal for the practical-thinking mom who loves having the best of the best. Find it and other gorgeous leather carriers at the Bottega Veneta boutique at Scottsdale Fashion Square at 7014 East Camelback Road, Scottsdale.
3. Mother’s Day is always extra-special for new moms. And a new mom will love anything that will save her time and be healthy for her baby. Babycook by beaba is a compact kitchen counter appliance that functions as a blender, a steamer, a warmer, and a defroster all in one package, making it simpler and easier than ever to whip up nutritious baby food right at home. In fifteen minutes or less from start to finish, all the vegetables, meats, or fruits will be ready to go, preserving all their natural flavor and nutritional value. You can even include the Babycook travel bag for easy transportation or the Babycook cookbook as add-ons when gifting to a new or expecting mom. Pick it up at local baby store Healthy Baby Happy Earth at 7149 N. 57th Drive in Glendale.
4. Family recipes are sacred. If your mom keeps her cookbook scribbled in an old spiral notebook that’s hidden in the back of the pantry, it’s time for an upgrade. This year, buy Mom this recipe box and card kit at uncommongoods.com. The maple wood square box holds 450 recipe cards and helps Mom get organized! In fact, sitting down to write out your recipes would make for a great activity for both of you to do together. The recipe box’s sleek design makes it a decorating piece for a kitchen that’s filled with your family’s memories.
5. If your mother is the entertaining type, she’ll love this Oxo Good Grips Uplift Tea Kettle. The stainless steel tea kettle come in a variety of bright colors, and it has a unique handle that, when lifted, opens the spout automatically. The handle is heat resistant and slip-proof, and the kettle can hold up to two quarts, which makes preparing tea for a group of guests a breeze. It’s the kind of kitchen accessory that’s she’ll love to have on hand whenever she needs it.
6. The Spa at Talking Stick Resort in Scottsdale is offering a Mother’s Day special from April 23 to May 31. When you select three or more spa services, you’ll receive 15 percent off each one. Choose services from the huge selection of massage therapies, facials, and nail treatments from the experts who know all the tricks to release tension and stress from the body. The Spa uses the best and purest of products made with ingredients they harvest in their own gardens. The relaxing ambience with its white pristine lounge and magnificent views from floor-to-ceiling windows will surely be a long-overdue day of respite for a busy, hardworking mother.
7. You can never go wrong with jewelry for Mother’s Day. Find the perfect piece at Treasures Jewelers, where you’ll find a great selection of high-quality jewelry. Whether your mother loves classic and elegant pieces or modern and feminine designs, something is bound to catch her eye here. Surprise her with something like this two carat heart-shaped pink-sapphire ring accented with diamonds in white gold. And if your mother is picky about her gems, bring her in to the Glendale store to view the selection of rings, necklaces, pendants, earrings, and bracelets so she can take her pick.
20221 N. 67th Avenue, Suite E-2, Glendale
8. Give Mom the chance to indulge in something she wouldn’t normally do for herself. The experts at Physician Skin Solutions at Arrowhead have put together a special package just for the occasion. Their Anti-Aging Aesthetic Package includes a bundle of six aesthetic treatments like microdermabrasion, facials, enzyme treatments, and collagen infusions. This special package will leave her skin light, bright, and soft and will have her feeling fresh and youthful. Many mothers don’t have the time to take care of their skin the way they should, and this gift will repair the signs of past damage and lackluster appearance. physicianskinarrowhead.com
9. If Mom’s been talking about getting a dog, a cat, or a rabbit for a while, now’s the time for a very special outing. Don’t go to the shelter and pick one up for her—this event should be as special and blessed as you were when you first joined the family. Create on your computer or by hand a certificate or coupon entitling Mom to a trip with you to the nearest shelter or rescue to choose a new family member. A pet adoption will be as wonderful for the homeless animal as it will be for your mother. Oh, and one thing more: Just because it’s Mom’s pet doesn’t mean that you can’t help take care of it!
10. A great bouquet of flowers is the perfect way to brighten up Mom’s day this year. Try a bouquet from organicbouquet.com, the largest online provider of ecofriendly and organic floral gifts. This mission-based company only sells flowers that are grown in a manner that is not only environmentally friendly but also serves as a resource for farmworkers and artisans. The flowers come from Certified Sustainable Farms, where women from surrounding villages are employed with decent wages and benefits. They are also a carbon-neutral company, meaning that the work toward having a zero carbon emission footprint. These gerbera daisies are a thoughtful, meaningful gift for any mom who’s always looking for ways to care for others.